April 18, 2022 by Ten Oaks Doodles
10 Red Flags to Watch For:
- No Phone Calls - Reputable breeders will always communicate with you by phone or in person.
- No Papers for the Dog
- Payment Accepted only by Money Transfer or Prepayed Cards
- You Cannot Pick up The Puppy in Person - If the only way to receive the puppy is to have it shipped.
- Repeating Photos - Ask for multiple photos of the dog, many scammers will use the same ones
- Take Your Time - If a breeder is pushing for the sale of the dog and using phrases such as: "They have to get rid of the dog", "Cannot care for the dog anymore" etc.
- Compare Prices - If the asking price of the dog is way below the average price of that breed, this should be a red flag.
- Communication - If the communication is poor grammar and broken English.
- Ad Websites - Ads are only on eBay or Craigslist.
- Price Increases After the Sale - A Reputable breeder will guarantee the initial quote they give you. No extra costs after the sale.
How Can I Find a Reputable Breeder?
- Knowledge of the Breed - Reputable breeders will have knowledge about the genetics of the dog and its breed.
- Communication - Good breeders will take the time to talk with you and will want to meet you. Ask to schedule a time to meet them.
- Health Testing - Many scammers claim they health test their dogs but don't share the results. Ask for proof and the results of the tests.